Based at Jondaryan (approx. 2.5 hours North West of Brisbane or 40 minutes from Toowoomba), Kerwee Feedlot is the oldest family-owned feedlot facility in Australia and has recently doubled the capacity from 11,100 to 20,200 head of cattle.
Kerwee Feedlot works closely within the community, actively supporting the Jondaryan Woolshed, promoting environmental sustainability with it work to revegetate the Oakey creek and also being involved with a number of school to provide experience to students studying agriculture and feedlotting.
The recent expansion was undertaken to meet the growing demand for our award winning Stockyard brands. Kerwee is also a leader in the feedlot industry with Growsafe net-feed intake technology adopted (the first Australian commercial feedlot to do so) and a state of the art robotic grain spear.
Here are some interesting facts about our expansion:
- Earthworks has moved over 13,000 cubic meters soil.
- Over 2.16km of concrete feed troughs were laid and 4.5km meters of water pipe to supply water from our fresh artesian bore.
- 24,000 square meters of shade cloth will be erected in order to give cattle the opportunity to rest and stay cool through the warmer parts of the day.
At capacity the feedlot:
- hold 20200 head of cattle
- feed over 180-200 mt/ day of grain
- increase staff to 30 people and will generate 32 regional flow on jobs within the community which will add 3.6 million annualised value to the regional community
- A$44 Million of additional turn over to the regional economy, including A$12 Million commodity, (40,5 000 MT of feed per year), and A$29 Million in cattle transactions